Steak Bites With Bloody Mary Dipping Sauce
So . . . THIS FRIDAY is Halloween. Are you as ready as I am?
That’s a joke. I’m never ready.
But, at least my kids’ costumes are ready to go and I have purchased the obligatory candy to hand out.
What else do I need?
Well, some Halloween spirit for starters. So here’s something fun to try. It’s alternately creepy and tasty at the same time. Invite some friends over for this treat full of protein before you head out to scour the neighborhood for candy.
STEAK BITES WITH BLOODY MARY DIPPING SAUCE
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 1/2 cup vodka
• 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
• 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
• 1 cup tomato sauce
• 1 rounded tablespoon prepared horseradish
• Salt and pepper
• 1 1/3 pounds beef sirloin cut into large bite-sized pieces, 1 by 2 inches
• Steak seasoning blend or coarse salt and black pepper
• 6 to 8 inch bamboo skewers
Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add oil and onions and saute 5 minutes. Add vodka and reduce by 1/2. Add Worcestershire, hot sauce, tomato sauce and horseradish. Stir to combine the dipping sauce and return the sauce to a bubble. Add salt and pepper and adjust seasonings.
Heat nonstick skillet over high heat. Coat meat bites lightly in oil. Season with steak seasoning blend or salt and pepper, to taste. Cook the meat until caramelized all over, about 2 minutes on each side. Transfer dipping sauce to a small dish and place at the center of a serving platter. Surround the dip with meat bites and set several bamboo “stakes” or skewers along side meat.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray and foodnetwork.com.
Photo courtesy of foodnetwork.com.