What I should really call this post is “14 Things That Made Me Happy in 2014.”
A bit wordy. But more accurate.
The nightly news was filled with dramatically terrible things that happened this year – devastating weather events, shootings, etc.
For me, in light of all that can and will go wrong in the world, it’s been the day-to-day simple pleasures that brought a smile to my face. 2014 was filled with them. But you have to stop and look for them. These are mine, so here goes:
- Giggling through the movie Big Hero 6 with my youngest son. Animated. Silly. Perfection.
- A visit to the beach. Brief, but very necessary.
- Prince George’s Christmas photographs.
- That one time I had five minutes to myself in the bathroom. Moms and dads, you know what I’m talking about.
- Grilled steak on the patio, my husband pouring me a glass of wine and Garth Brooks on the radio.
- The love my dogs showed me every day.
- My husband’s silly texts. He’s got a way with emojis.
- My boys hitting the baseball over the fence. Exhilarating.
- Finding “Friends” reruns when I couldn’t sleep.
- Summer. Just the whole thing.
- “The Voice.” It’s a show my kids actually watched with me.
- Good friends coming to my rescue when I needed it most.
- Lupita Nyong’o. Don’t know who she is? Check her out.
- Gathering around the dinner table and seeing faces I adore.
This is my personal list for 2014. What’s yours?